quinta-feira, outubro 18, 2007

Day 9 - By the river, stopping at the hospital!

As I write this post, I was supposed to go to a place and deal with my driving license here in Japan. Or at least, try to. But the jet lag kicked in hard again today, so I had to sleep even more... Besides, later today I have things to do, so I can't go to the place I mentioned. But I promise I'll go very soon. I might so swimming, though. What about that?

Day 9, a Sunday, was time to go to Belem, again. I had asked Xanoxa if she would like to go, but she said that it would depend on how late she would go to bed the night before. That was why I didn't say anything to Mari, who, when she found out what was going on, tried to murder me with those big eyes of hers! But my super Japanese tech shield protected me!



As you might know, Portugal went around the world, many many years ago, when it was of some importance in the world. Portuguese sailors were, in fact, the first Europeans to get to Japan, near the place I live in... Interestingly enough, the year on this map is not the same as the year Japanese say Portuguese people got here: It says 1541 and not 1543. It might be the year they left Portugal or just the time difference then!


And for the ones who don't know where Oita is (believe me, I don't blame you!), here it is:



The good thing about this picture is that Mari did not pose for this picture. She was caught red handed, making faces at my beautiful belly!


Xanoxa, later called Sanefa ("valance", just because I can!)...


As a background, it's the Mosteiro dos Jeronimos, a great example of the Manueline architecture I told you about before. An example of the loads of money Portugal got from the commerce around the world.



And then we went to have Pasteis de Belem, a kind of cream tart, that is just amazing. Only 3 people in the world know the recipe. And it isn't written anywhere. Just the people responsible for making the tarts know the secret!
A piece of advice: they taste much better when they're still hot!

Makaki went crazy, as you can tell!


And so was Xana...


And me...


To eat these amazing little things, we need to put some cinnamon and sugar on them. I had 3. One is not enough and 2 are just half way...



There was a problem with Mari's first pastel de Belem, as the only technology Xana can handle, usually vibrates a lot. I'm talking about cell-phones, obviously!


This blog is not only about debauchery and orgies (wait, it was never about the latter!)... Here's an example of traditional Portuguese tiles, in blue and white.


We left the cafe, where we had the tarts. It was packed with people, and I hope never to work there, as the waiters just can't stop!

Again, the Mosteiro dos Jeronimos, profusely decorated as the Manueline style imposes!


At Praca do Imperio, build during the dictatorship. It means "Empire Plaza", as the name says it all. On the background, the Belem Cultural Centre, built to house the first Portuguese EU presidency, back in the 90's, I think. Many people thought it wouldn't fit in such an area and it wasn't necessary, but I think those people have been proven wrong, at it's a highly valuable cultural place. Yes, we do have culture in Portugal, by the way!



YAY, look at these retarded faces around Portugal!


Again, this was a nice easy going day. Thank you, Xanoxa and Makaki!
While I was going around with the girls, eating good stuff, my father went to the hospital, as he would get a surgery the next day. Actually, Xana was kind enough to drop him at the hospital, on our way to Belem!
My father had been with a cancerous problem in his stomach for a while, and the thing was under control, thanks to an experimental drug he was taking. But lately, things had gone the wrong way and the doctors decided to open him, and remove his stomach. Although I was there, and he'd rather be with me, he had to go. And I agree with him, as we cannot fool around with these things!
He got the surgery on Monday, woke up quite agitated from the anesthesia, got restrained and all. But the surgery went well and on Tuesday I went to the hospital to visit him (on Monday only mom could go there). He was alive and kicking and I told him not to bother people at the hospital!
On Wednesday, though, he was a bit depressed, which, apparently, happens quite often, as people get bored, specially when they can't sleep properly, either because someone is snoring all night or because they can't change their position, like it happened to my father.

And thank you to all the people that asked about him. He is doing good and he is already at home. And, don't worry, he will be able to have a normal life after this. He did have to get a blood transfusion, though, as, by the end of the week, he was still very weak. He had lost quite a lot of blood during the surgery. My father sometime loses stuff!

4 comentários:

Rosarinho disse...

humm belos passeios!
Espero que o teu pai ultrapasse isso rápido :)e continua a mostrar o que Portugal tem de bom!!!

Anónimo disse...

Meu querido!
Que belo dia este que passámos, não foi?!..Às vezes chego a pensar que te posso telefonar a qualquer altura pa irmos a Belém passear..:(
Mas pronto, qualquer já cá estás outra vez e vamos por mais umas calorias em cima,ehehe!

Beijos mil da tua

Makaki (eu deixo, lol)

ArtByJoão disse...
Este comentário foi removido pelo autor.
ArtByJoão disse...

Angel,

Não disseste nada do teu pai no decurso da tua visita... Imperdoável!!! Bem sei que não parei de falar nos 20 minutos em que nos encontrámos mas... Bem que me podias ter interrompido e dito...

As melhoras para ele!!!

Da Costa De Carvalho dixit